"Volga" were one of the mostly desired behind the Iron curtain Soviet-made cars. Poduced were in GAZ - "Gorkovsky Avtomobilny
Zavod", Nizhny Novgorod - "Gorky
Automobile Plant". Cars under this name have been in production
from 1956 until recent discontinuance of the assembly.
Throughout the communist
world, Volga cars were seen as the ultimate status
of this part:
02. M24D in Belgium
03. Advertisement brochures
04. Service manual
||During the 1060s-1980s the Volga was also assembled
in Belgium, with the model M21 at first. This took
place at SA Sobimpex, NV, in Brussels, Belgium.
The cars came to the harbour in Antwerp without
engine and with the gearbox disassembled in the
trunk. At Sobimpex they initially build in a Perkins
Four-99 diesel engine. Later on the Perkins diesel
engine was succeeded by a Rover engine (found also
in the Land Rover), wich was succeeded by an Indenor
from Peugeot (found also in Citroen H 1000 - 1600, Ford Granada, Peugeot 404, 504, J 7 & J 9 Diésel)
engine on the M24, which now had the designation D, standing for Diesel. Despite
it made the Volga a lot more expensive, the Volga
diesel was by far the most sold Volga in the Benelux.